Thursday 10 May 2012

Video Game in Used in Church Service

I've just come across this article:  exeter-cathedral-flower-service.

Not sure about this tactic at all.  I love video games - I'm not anti-technology in any way.  I don't think I'm a traditionalist either.  I just fail to see the purpose of this experiment.  If we were talking about a church-run games night or something, where youth workers were on hand to talk with youngsters - I'd see that as a great way to connect with the kids.  But at a Sunday service?  Seems a bit gimmicky to me.  I don't see how it helps spread the Gospel at all?  Maybe I'm just getting old!

2 comments:

  1. Oh this seriously winds me up!!! It is an "undeniably spiritual experience." Well I am denying it- so obviously it isn't undeniable ;) A PS3 in a Church meeting- to achieve what the Word of God cannot? What expository preaching has never done? What the Holy Spirit taking of His Word and applying it to our hearts cannot achieve? Puleeease!!!!

    Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - it takes a lot to wind me up ;) but this did!

    I have no problem with technology being used as a tool for delivering the Word of God - as long as that's what it's used for. This is just a gimmick to grab peoples attention, get them in for a service, then proudly announce how many 'new christians' they scored that week.

    Do yourself a favour though - don't read the comments underneath the article. The top one especially ;)

    ReplyDelete